Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Malai Kulfi - Popsicles

How to make Malai Kulfi - Popsicles






We all love to kill the Summer time heat with Ice-creams. Believe me every time I go to Cold Stone - I go for French Vanilla flavor with some extra Almonds; PJ tried to trick me to try some other flavors but no; my heart rather tongue is set on that one flavor. If not this then I would eat Haagen-Dazs caramel flavored ice cream; man that is addictive. But nothing can beat the Popsicles you get in India. Believe me this is an attempt to make a similar tasting dessert and I'm almost close. I didn't have Popsicle mold here so I made it in a bowl and later pieced it.

Here is what we need -

  • 4 cups of milk
  • 1 small cup sugar( take as per your taste)
  • Any kind of handful nuts - I like Almonds
  • cardamom powder
  • 1 slice white bread
  • 1 sp corn starch
What's Next -

Boil milk with sugar in the non-stick pan for about 10 minutes or till it reduces to a little more than half quantity. Meanwhile cut the bread into small pieces discarding the sides. If you keep the sides of the bread you will get brown spots in your ice-cream and you don't want that. take the bread pieces in the blender and add corn starch to it. Blend it to a smooth paste with a spoonful of milk. Add this mixture to the boiling milk in the pan.Let it simmer for a few minutes. Switch off the stove and let it cool down. Add your favourite nuts & cardamom powder.

Once it comes to the room temperature transfer it to the glass bowl. cover it with cling wrap in a way that it touches the milk layer. That way it will help not to form ice-crystals. Refrigerate it for 8-10 hours.

When I made this first time it turned out perfect however second time it had formed some ice-crystals in it. I had made it for a group of 15 people. 

Caution - If you are having company for Kulfi. Make it before hand and in case ice-crystals form. take it out of the deep freezer, blend it into the blender & refreeze. that way there would be no crystals for sure.

Trust me this ice-cream is just to die for. Enjoy your dessert with chocolate syrup, a piece of brawny or a freshly sliced mango. um mm Irresistible .. ..

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you like this recipe?