Sunday, November 20, 2011

Butternut Squash or Pumpkin Soup


The beauty - Butternut squash or pumpkin. This is a fruit that grows on a vine. The skin and seeds are edible but are usually discarded. This is best eaten roasted. I saw this beauty during fall season in Kroger and couldn't stop myself from buying. I knew in my mind that PJ is not gonna vouch for squash soup idea so I was not sure what I was gonna make outta it. But I kinda had my heart settled on soup ..


Well lets prepare it then. Cut the squash lenghtwise. The skin is slightly hard so be careful while cutting it. For baking convenience I cut it again making 4 pieces of it. lightly brush some olive oil on the pulp side.

Preheat the oven for 350 F. Place this and roast it for about 30 to 35 minutes. Let it cool off.



Take off the seeds & skin. I figured the whole squash was gonna make too much soup for just 2 of us (PJ being reluctant ) so I just used this 1 cut portion and it made me more than 2 servings of soup. I refrigerated remaining pulp for my some other kitchen experiments. sigh ..

In a blender take the pulp, add 1 cardamom, 1/4 cup canned vegetable stock and fresh cream. Grind it to a smooth paste. This soup is usually thick. Ohh I remember having it in Wolfgang punk .. hats off to the chef .. he proved that beauty is skin deep right to the pulp : -)

well my attempt was not bad either  ; - )

In a heavy bottom pan take some butter and pour the blended soup into it. Add some black pepper and salt.



Enjoiiiiiiiiiiii

P.S - PJ enjoyed the soup too .. slurp!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you like this recipe?